Vicente ALANIS 


alanis vicente
AGE22 yo
ETATHunt Country TEXAS
FONCTIONInfantry Man
DATE of ENLISTEMENT30 October 1942 à Dallas TEXAS
BATTALION1st  Battalion
REGIMENT 175th Infantry Regiment
DIVISION 29th Infantry Division
Surnom "Blue and Gray"
Devise "29th Let's go!"
DATE OF DEATH18 June 1944alanis vicente tombe

Map of Normandy American Cemetery


Purple Heart

World War II Victory Medal 

Combat Infantryman Badge


Photo FDLM

victory medal

combat infantryman badge



us army div 29 175ri 175ir 1

div 29





3 Feb 1941  Days of Combat/Jour de Combat  242
   Casualties/Victimes 20 620

Entered Combat/Entré au combat

6 Jun1944 D-Day  

Commanding Generals/Commandants généraux

Maj. Gen. Milton A. Reckord (Feb 41 - Jan 42)
Maj. Gen. Leonard T. Gerow (Feb 42 - Jul 43)
Maj. Gen. Charles H. Gerhardt (Jul 43 - inactivation)


Normandy (6 Jun 44 - 24 Jul 44)
Northern France (25 Jul 44 - 14 Sep 44)
Rhineland (15 Sep 44 - 21 Mar 45)
Central Europe (22 Mar 45 - 11 May 45)



carte campagne europe


The 29th Infantry Division trained in Scotland and England for the crosschannel invasion, October 1942-June 1944. Teamed with the 1st Division, a regiment of the 29th (116th Infantry) was in the first assault wave to hit the beaches at Normandy on D-day, 6 June 1944. Landing on Omaha Beach on the same day in the face of intense enemy fire, the Division soon secured the bluff tops and occupied Isigny, 9 June. The Division cut across the Elle River and advanced slowly toward St. Lo, fighting bitterly in the Normandy hedge rows. After taking St. Lo, 18 July 1944, the Division joined in the battle for Vire, capturing that strongly held city, 7 August. Turning west, the 29th took part in the assault on Brest, 25 August-18 September 1944. After a short rest, the Division moved to defensive positions along the Teveren-Geilenkirchen line in Germany and maintained those positions through October. (In mid-October the 116th Infantry took part in the fighting at the Aachen Gap.) On 16 November the Division began its drive to the Roer, blasting its way through Siersdorf, Setterich, Durboslar, and Bettendorf, and reaching the Roer by the end of the month. Heavy fighting reduced Julich Sportplatz and the Hasenfeld Gut, 8 December. From 8 December 1944 to 23 February 1945, the Division held defensive positions along the Roer and prepared for the offensive. The attack jumped off across the Roer, 23 February, and carried the Division through Julich, Broich, Immerath, and Titz, to Munchen-Gladbach, 1 March 1945. The Division was out of combat in March. In early April the 116th Infantry helped mop up in the Ruhr area. On 19 April 1945 the Division pushed to the Elbe and held defensive positions until 4 May. Meanwhile, the 175th Infantry cleared the Klotze Forest. After VE-day, the Division was on military government duty in the Bremen enclave.


La 29th Infantry Division s'entraîna en Ecosse et en Angleterre pour l'invasion crosschannel, d'octobre 1942 à juin 1944. En équipe avec la 1st Division, un régiment du 29th (116th Infantry) se trouvait dans la première vague d'assaut pour frapper les plages de Normandie. Le 6 juin 1944, débarquant à Omaha Beach, le même jour, face à un feu nourri de l'ennemi, la division s'empara bientôt des falaises et occupa Isigny, le 9 juin. La Division traversa la rivière Elle et s'avança lentement vers Saint-Lô, se battant amèrement dans les rangées de haies de Normandie. Après avoir pris St. Lo, le 18 juillet 1944, la division se joignit à la bataille de Vire pour s'emparer de cette ville fortement occupée, le 7 août. Tournant vers l'ouest, le 29 a pris part à l'assaut sur Brest, 25 août-18 septembre 1944. Après un court repos, la division a déménagé à des positions défensives le long de la ligne Teveren-Geilenkirchen en Allemagne et a maintenu ces positions jusqu'en octobre. (À la mi-octobre, le 116e régiment d'infanterie prit part aux combats à Aix-la-Chapelle.) Le 16 novembre, la division commença sa route vers la Roer, traversant Siersdorf, Setterich, Durboslar et Bettendorf, et atteignant la Roer par la fin du mois. Les combats intenses ont réduit Julich Sportplatz et le Hasenfeld Gut, le 8 décembre. Du 8 décembre 1944 au 23 février 1945, la division occupe des positions défensives le long de la Roer et se prépare à l'offensive. L'attaque a sauté à travers le Roer, le 23 février, et a porté la Division par l'intermédiaire de Julich, Broich, Immerath, et Titz, à Munchen-Gladbach, le 1er mars 1945. La Division était hors combat en mars. Au début du mois d'avril, le 116th Infantry a aidé à nettoyer la région de la Ruhr. Le 19 avril 1945, la division pousse vers l'Elbe et occupe des positions défensives jusqu'au 4 mai. Pendant ce temps, le 175th Infantry a dégagé la forêt de Klotze. Après le jour de la victoire, la division était en service militaire dans l'enclave de Brême.

History day

st lo 14 18june

At 0730 on 17 June, the 1st battalion again moved out in the attack with Hill 108 as its objective.

During this advance, Lieutenant Colonel George, the Regimental Commander, was seriously wounded by an enemy hand grenade while leading a patrol against an enemy machine gun position.

At 1045, the battalion was held up by heavy machine gun and machine pistol fire.

An enemy counter-attack, launched against the right flank of the 1st battalion, was beaten off by the 2nd battalion.
Meanwhile, the 3rd battalion was attacking South from Amy and captured the town of Le Meaune at 1100.

At 2210 on the night of 17 June, the 1st battalion was only 600 yards from its objective, but encountered determined resistance.

Patrols located the German position about this time and after artillery and mortar preparations, an attack was made and the ground which was being organized by the enemy was occupied just as it became dark.

An 88mm gun, a 150mm mortar, a 20mm gun, and much miscellaneous equipment were captured and 15 prisoners taken. Under continued enemy fire a temporary defensive position was assumed for the night.

At 0620 the following morning, while preparation of a defensive position as ordered by the Division was under way, the Germans delivered a strong counter-attack.

Although many casualties were suffered, including the battalion Commander and Executive Officer, the ground was held with the exception of about 200 yards. This was finally organized completely.

During the entire remainder of the day until after dark that night, the battalion was completely isolated by enemy mortar and artillery fire from the balance of the regiment.

Further severe losses were suffered during this period, but the position was maintained.

During the night and early morning of 18-19 June, the 3rd battalion relieved the first and the latter was withdraw to a less exposed position immediately to the rear of the defended area.

The operations to this point resulted in the regiment being situated in a salient extending to the farthest point of advance of the 1st battalion, which was within 3 miles of St Lo, the closest approach to that place by any part of the enemy on three sides, was successfully held against one major and several minor counter-attacks from 19 June up until the end of the period, during which time the battalions were restated no that each held the foremost part of the position for a portion of the time.

Active and vigorous patrolling was conducted by day and by night, eventually developing an accurate picture of the enemy organization.

The close of this period finds the regiment defending with the 1st battalion and 3rd battalion on the position in the order xxxx and the 2nd battalion withdrawn to reserve. The creation of a reserve had become possible by constant improvement of the defence despite continuous artillery and mortar fire of varying intensity during the entire time.

PROGRAMMERGarrett, Clive, Frédéric & Renaud
Partagez moi ...