AGE24 yo
RANKStaff Sergeant
FONCTIONInfantry Man
DATE of ENLISTEMENT16 Septembre 1940 Louisburg NORTH CAROLINA
REGIMENT 113th Field Artillery Battalion
DIVISION  30th Infantry Division
DATE OF DEATH15 June 1944


Source : F Lavernhe

PLACE OF DEATHAt sea near Barfleur
DATA PLANon board the USS LST-133 Troop Transport




Story of Cemetery Temporary 




Map of Normandy American Cemetery

Wall of Missing

Purple Heart

World War II Victory Medal 

Combat Infantryman Badge

Photo FDLM

victory medal

combat infantryman badge


us army div 30 117ir 117ir

At 08.03 hours on 15 June 1944, U-621 fired one Gnat torpedo at convoy EPL-8 and hit USS LST-133 (Lt Floyd E. Richards, USN) which was about 2000 yards behind station, steaming at full speed of 10 knots with two Rhino tugs in tow about 27 miles northeast of Barfleur, France.

The U-boat observed how the vessel broke in two and then managed to retreat without being attacked by the escorts as it was assumed that the vessel had struck an acoustic mine.

However, the landing ship remained intact from frame 41 forward so the Germans probably mistook the Rhino tugs that drifted away after the hit as parts of the vessel.

The explosion blew away the greater part of the fantail and both 40mm Bofors gun tubes on the stern, demolished the crew quarters and steering engine room and left the vessel without propulsion as the screws and rudder were destroyed.

The deck house was damaged by the stern anchor winch that was blown forward and large pieces of twisted deck plate hurled through the air fell on deck and the vehicles stored there.

The landing ship carried the men and equipment of the HQ and three batteries of the 113th Field Artillery Battalion, 30th US Infantry Division.

As breakfast had just been served many men were washing their mess kits on the fantail when the torpedo struck and the casualties were high: 15 crew members and 28 passengers (22 US Army and 6 USN Seabees) were killed and 17 crew members and 11 passengers (8 US Army and 3 USN Seabees) were wounded. 

div 30





16 Sep 1940  Days of Combat/Jour de Combat  282
   Casualties/Victimes  18 446

Entered Combat/Entré au combat

11 Jun 44 Normandy  

Commanding Generals/Commandants généraux

Maj. Gen. Henry D. Russell (Sep 40 - Apr 42)
Maj. Gen. William H. Simpson (May 42 - Jul 42)
Maj. Gen. Leland S. Hobbs (Sep 42 - Sep 45)


Normandy (6 Jun 44 - 24 Jul 44)
Northern France (25 Jul 44 - 14 Sep 44)
Rhineland (15 Sep 44 - 21 Mar 45)
Ardennes-Alsace (16 Dec 44 - 25 Jan 45)
Central Europe (22 Mar 45 - 11 May 45)



carte campagne europe


The 30th Infantry Division arrived in England, 22 February 1944, and trained until June. It landed at Omaha Beach, Normandy, 15 June 1944, secured the Vire-et-Taute Canal, crossed the Vire River, 7 July, and, beginning on 25 July spearheaded the St. Lo break-through. The day after the Division relieved the 1st Infantry Division near Mortain on 6 August, the German drive to Avranches began. Fighting in place with all available personnel, the 30th frustrated enemy plans and broke the enemy spearhead in a week of violent struggle, 7 to 12 August. The Division drove east through Belgium, crossing the Meuse River at Vise and Liege, 10 September. Elements entered Holland on the 12th, and Maastricht fell the next day. Taking up positions along the Wurm River, the 30th launched its attack on the Siegfried Line, 2 October 1944, and succeeded in contacting the 1st Division, 16 October, and encircling Aachen. After a rest period, the Division eliminated an enemy salient northeast of Aachen, 16 November, pushed to the Inde River at Altdorf, 28 November, then moved to rest areas. On 17 December the Division rushed south to the Malmedy-Stavelot area to help block the powerful enemy drive in the Battle of the Ardennes. It launched a counteroffensive on 13 January 1945 and reached a point 2 miles south of St. Vith, 26 January, before leaving the Battle of the Bulge and moving to an assembly area near Lierneux, 27 January, and to another near Aachen to prepare for the Roer offensive. The Roer River was crossed, 23 February 1945, near Julich. The 30th moved back for training and rehabilitation, 6 March, and on 24 March made its assault crossing of the Rhine. It pursued the enemy across Germany, mopping up enemy pockets of resistance, took Hamelin, 7 April, Braunschweig on the 12th, and helped reduce Magdeburg on the 17th. The Russians were contacted at Grunewald on the Elbe River. After a short occupation period, the 30th began moving for home, arriving 19 August 1945.


La 30th Infantry Division arrive en Angleterre le 22 février 1944 et s'entraîne jusqu'en juin. Il débarqua à Omaha Beach, en Normandie, le 15 juin 1944, sécurisa le canal de Vire-et-Taute, traversa la Vire, le 7 juillet, et, à partir du 25 juillet, fut le fer de lance de la percée de Saint-Lo. Le lendemain de la relève de la 1re division d'infanterie près de Mortain, le 6 août, la division allemande a commencé à Avranches. Combattant avec tout le personnel disponible, le 30ème ennemi frustré projette et brise le fer de lance ennemi dans une semaine de lutte violente, du 7 au 12 août. La Division a traversé la Belgique en traversant la Meuse à Vise et Liège, le 10 septembre. Les éléments sont entrés en Hollande le 12 et Maastricht est tombé le lendemain. Prenant position le long de la rivière Wurm, le 30 a lancé son attaque sur la ligne Siegfried, le 2 octobre 1944, et a réussi à contacter la 1re Division, le 16 octobre, et à encercler Aix-la-Chapelle. Après une période de repos, la Division a éliminé un saillant ennemi au nord-est d'Aix-la-Chapelle, le 16 novembre, a été poussée sur l'Inde à Altdorf, le 28 novembre, puis s'est déplacée vers des aires de repos. Le 17 décembre, la Division s'est précipitée vers le sud, dans la région de Malmedy-Stavelot, pour bloquer la puissante campagne ennemie de la bataille des Ardennes. Il lança une contre-offensive le 13 janvier 1945 et atteignit un point situé à 2 milles au sud de Saint-Vith, le 26 janvier, avant de quitter la bataille des Ardennes et de se rendre dans une zone de rassemblement près de Lierneux le 27 janvier. l'offensive Roer. La rivière Roer fut traversée, le 23 février 1945, près de Julich. Le 30 mars est revenu à l'entraînement et à la réhabilitation, le 6 mars, et le 24 mars, il a effectué son assaut en traversant le Rhin. Il a poursuivi l'ennemi à travers l'Allemagne, nettoyé les poches de résistance ennemies, pris Hamelin, le 7 avril, Braunschweig le 12, et aidé à réduire Magdeburg le 17. Les Russes ont été contactés à Grunewald sur l'Elbe. Après une courte période d'occupation, le 30 a commencé à déménager pour la maison, arrivant le 19 août 1945.
SOURCE INFORMATION & PHOTOArmydivs.squarespace.com

SOURCE INFORMATION & SOURCE PHOTOAbmc.govFindagrave.com - Aad.archives.gov - JF PELLOUAIS       
PROGRAMMERHenri, Garrett, Clive, Frédéric & Renaud
Partagez moi ...