Roger Mathew De PONTBRIAND



Source : Jane Lynch
AGE25 yo
DATE OF BIRTH21 September 1919 Brockton, Plymouth County
RANKPrivate First Class
FONCTIONInfantry Man
REGIMENT 117th Infantry Regiment
DIVISION 30th Infantry Division
DATE OF DEATH7 August 1944


Source : Frogman


 CEMTERY TEMPORARY of  Marigny 3555 

 3555 Marigny

Story of Cemetery Temporary 


Map of St James American Cemetery


Purple Heart

World War II Victory Medal 

Combat Infantryman Badge


Photo FDLM

victory medal

combat infantryman badge



us army div 30 117ir


Source : fold3

 The 117th Regiment arrived in England in February, 1944, along with the rest of the 30th Infantry Division and its support units. They landed in France on Omaha Beach in mid-June. Although they came under enemy artillery fire in their assembly area, Company B’s first real combat came in early July, 1944, with the crossing of the Vire River. They fought through the hedgerows of Normandy learning the essentials of live combat that could not be taught in training. Due to casualties four different officers commanded Company B 117th Regiment in the nine day period July 7-16. On July 20th St. Lo was taken and the Allies took this opportunity to “break out” of the small area they held along the Normandy Coast.

On July 24, 1944, three divisions, the 30th, 4th and 9th, comprised “Operation Cobra.” The 30th lined up its regiments for the attack – the 119th and 120th Regiments and two battalions of the 117th, with the remainder of the 117th held in reserve. The massive bombing by the Army Air Force preceding the infantry’s attack went badly. Bombs fell short and landed on the 30th, causing 152 casualties. Command stopped the main body of bombers and delayed the attack for a day. On the next day the Army Air Force made the same disastrous mistake, bombing short and causing 662 more casualties for the 30th. That day the operation proceeded with the remnants of the 30th plus reserves attacking in their sector as planned. Despite heavy casualties from “friendly fire,” the remaining men of “Old Hickory” pulled together and did their job. Although the Germans survived the bombing with little damage, the American attack was successful. By the end of July the Allied armies had “broken out” of their limited foothold on French soil and had opened a narrow corridor along Normandy’s western coast allowing Patton’s Third Army tanks to pour into the interior.

In the three weeks from the crossing of the Vire to the capture of Tessy-sur-Vire, the 30th Infantry Division suffered the most casualties of their entire combat experience in WWII. Other more famous battles lay ahead for the division but none would be as deadly. After the fight for Tessy-sur-Vire, the 30th rested for a few days. Replacements arrived but not near enough to make up for the men who had been lost.

On August 6th, orders came for “Old Hickory” to take over 1st Division positions in and around Mortain so the 1st could pursue the Germans further south.

The American lines faced the German-held territory to the east with the 30th’s position around Mortain on the southern end. Beyond Mortain small, mobile Americans units chased the Germans further inland.


div 30





16 Sep 1940  Days of Combat/Jour de Combat  282
   Casualties/Victimes  18 446

Entered Combat/Entré au combat

11 Jun 44 Normandy  

Commanding Generals/Commandants généraux

Maj. Gen. Henry D. Russell (Sep 40 - Apr 42)
Maj. Gen. William H. Simpson (May 42 - Jul 42)
Maj. Gen. Leland S. Hobbs (Sep 42 - Sep 45)


Normandy (6 Jun 44 - 24 Jul 44)
Northern France (25 Jul 44 - 14 Sep 44)
Rhineland (15 Sep 44 - 21 Mar 45)
Ardennes-Alsace (16 Dec 44 - 25 Jan 45)
Central Europe (22 Mar 45 - 11 May 45)



carte campagne europe


The 30th Infantry Division arrived in England, 22 February 1944, and trained until June. It landed at Omaha Beach, Normandy, 15 June 1944, secured the Vire-et-Taute Canal, crossed the Vire River, 7 July, and, beginning on 25 July spearheaded the St. Lo break-through. The day after the Division relieved the 1st Infantry Division near Mortain on 6 August, the German drive to Avranches began. Fighting in place with all available personnel, the 30th frustrated enemy plans and broke the enemy spearhead in a week of violent struggle, 7 to 12 August. The Division drove east through Belgium, crossing the Meuse River at Vise and Liege, 10 September. Elements entered Holland on the 12th, and Maastricht fell the next day. Taking up positions along the Wurm River, the 30th launched its attack on the Siegfried Line, 2 October 1944, and succeeded in contacting the 1st Division, 16 October, and encircling Aachen. After a rest period, the Division eliminated an enemy salient northeast of Aachen, 16 November, pushed to the Inde River at Altdorf, 28 November, then moved to rest areas. On 17 December the Division rushed south to the Malmedy-Stavelot area to help block the powerful enemy drive in the Battle of the Ardennes. It launched a counteroffensive on 13 January 1945 and reached a point 2 miles south of St. Vith, 26 January, before leaving the Battle of the Bulge and moving to an assembly area near Lierneux, 27 January, and to another near Aachen to prepare for the Roer offensive. The Roer River was crossed, 23 February 1945, near Julich. The 30th moved back for training and rehabilitation, 6 March, and on 24 March made its assault crossing of the Rhine. It pursued the enemy across Germany, mopping up enemy pockets of resistance, took Hamelin, 7 April, Braunschweig on the 12th, and helped reduce Magdeburg on the 17th. The Russians were contacted at Grunewald on the Elbe River. After a short occupation period, the 30th began moving for home, arriving 19 August 1945.


La 30th Infantry Division arrive en Angleterre le 22 février 1944 et s'entraîne jusqu'en juin. Il débarqua à Omaha Beach, en Normandie, le 15 juin 1944, sécurisa le canal de Vire-et-Taute, traversa la Vire, le 7 juillet, et, à partir du 25 juillet, fut le fer de lance de la percée de Saint-Lo. Le lendemain de la relève de la 1re division d'infanterie près de Mortain, le 6 août, la division allemande a commencé à Avranches. Combattant avec tout le personnel disponible, le 30ème ennemi frustré projette et brise le fer de lance ennemi dans une semaine de lutte violente, du 7 au 12 août. La Division a traversé la Belgique en traversant la Meuse à Vise et Liège, le 10 septembre. Les éléments sont entrés en Hollande le 12 et Maastricht est tombé le lendemain. Prenant position le long de la rivière Wurm, le 30 a lancé son attaque sur la ligne Siegfried, le 2 octobre 1944, et a réussi à contacter la 1re Division, le 16 octobre, et à encercler Aix-la-Chapelle. Après une période de repos, la Division a éliminé un saillant ennemi au nord-est d'Aix-la-Chapelle, le 16 novembre, a été poussée sur l'Inde à Altdorf, le 28 novembre, puis s'est déplacée vers des aires de repos. Le 17 décembre, la Division s'est précipitée vers le sud, dans la région de Malmedy-Stavelot, pour bloquer la puissante campagne ennemie de la bataille des Ardennes. Il lança une contre-offensive le 13 janvier 1945 et atteignit un point situé à 2 milles au sud de Saint-Vith, le 26 janvier, avant de quitter la bataille des Ardennes et de se rendre dans une zone de rassemblement près de Lierneux le 27 janvier. l'offensive Roer. La rivière Roer fut traversée, le 23 février 1945, près de Julich. Le 30 mars est revenu à l'entraînement et à la réhabilitation, le 6 mars, et le 24 mars, il a effectué son assaut en traversant le Rhin. Il a poursuivi l'ennemi à travers l'Allemagne, nettoyé les poches de résistance ennemies, pris Hamelin, le 7 avril, Braunschweig le 12, et aidé à réduire Magdeburg le 17. Les Russes ont été contactés à Grunewald sur l'Elbe. Après une courte période d'occupation, le 30 a commencé à déménager pour la maison, arrivant le 19 août 1945.



PROGRAMMERHenri, Garrett, Clive, Frédéric & Renaud
Partagez moi ...